FSU's Simeon Marshall returned an interception 46 yards for a touchdown on Saturday.

Oct. 15, 2011

Final Stats

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. - The Fayetteville State Broncos got a taste of their own medicine.

And on Homecoming, it was especially sour.

Shaw overcame a 16-point deficit the game's final 5 minutes to rally past Fayetteville State and send the capacity Homecoming crowd home with a bad taste in its mouth after prevailing 35-29 in overtime on Saturday at Luther "Nick" Jeralds Stadium.

Quarterback Quinshon Odom connected with James Pettway on a 17-yard touchdown pass on Shaw's first possession of overtime, and though kicker Lyncon Shephed missed the point-after try, the Bears sealed the win when Fayetteville State running back Colon Bailey (So., Manteo, N.C.) fumbled on the Broncos' first play from scrimmage on its overtime possession.

"Wow," said Shaw head coach Darrell Asberry. "That was an incredible come-from-behind victory. We finally caught a break."

Odom, despite being sacked five times, threw for a career-high 376 yards and three touchdowns on 24 -of-42 passing to lead the Bears (2-5, 2-2). Pettway had six catches for 84 yards while Daniel Lee had three receptions for 96 yards.

The Broncos (2-5, 2-2), albeit after their characteristic slow start, seemed to be in control late in the game, leading 29-7 with 10:31 left in the third quarter after Simeon Marshall (So., Jacksonville, N.C.) returned an interception 46 yards for a touchdown.

But Shaw never gave in, and with a couple of those breaks Asberry's been looking for, found a way to tie the game before the end of regulation.

The Bears capped a nine-play, 80-yard drive with a 2-yard touchdown run by Antonio Dunn that came just a minute - and a Fayetteville Sate offensive possession -- after the Broncos had stoned Shaw on fourth-and-1 from the Broncos' 3. That made it 29-13 with 6:44 to go in the third period.

With the Broncos unable to move the ball in the second half - Fayetteville State was held to just 102 total yards after the half - Shaw crept within one score when Frederick Holliday scored on a 2-yard run around the right end. Holliday scored the 2-point conversion on the same play -- this time it was run to the left - and the score was just 29-21 with 4:40 remaining in the fourth quarter.



Shaw then recovered the onside kick after a dazzling play by Darnell Evans, who leaped into the air near the sideline to keep the bounding ball in play. Shaw recovered on the Fayetteville State 49 with 4:37 to go.

"We've worked on that," said Asberry. "It was perfect."

The Broncos appeared to take over on downs, though, breaking up a pass play on 4th-and-20 with 3:08 to go. But Fayetteville State was flagged for pass interference, giving Shaw a new set of downs from the Broncos' 30.

A play later, Odom found Malik Cross for the touchdown, and then rifled a strike to Pettway for the 2-point conversion to tie the game at 29 with 3:01 left.

Fayetteville state had a chance to win the game in regulation, moving the ball to the Shaw 25. But Austin Turner's (Sr., San Diego, Calif.) 32-yard field goal was blocked by DeMarcus Roberson, leading to overtime.

"We should've won the game in regulation," said Fayetteville State coach Kenny Phillips. "We never should've gone to overtime."

Bailey ran for a career-high 148 yards, scoring two more touchdowns after running for three scores last week. The Broncos, who had found themselves in a two-touchdown hole in each of the past five games only to storm back for the victory in their last two contests, seemed to have the formula working for a third straight week.

But, this time, it wasn't a slow finish.

Bailey scored both of his touchdowns in the first half and the Fayetteville State defense came up big again as the Broncos ripped off 21 straight points to take a 21-7 lead into the half.

Naturally, it didn't start well for the Broncos. Fayetteville State gave up a 75-yard touchdown pass play on a screen from Odom to Lee barely 5 minutes into the game, giving the Bears a 7-0 lead.

But the Broncos, despite a slew of first-half penalties, came storming back. After a 59-yard punt by Turner pinned the Bears on their own 1-yard line, Kevin Cooper (So., Charlotte, N.C.) recovered a fumbled exchange in the end zone to tie the game at 7 with 8:23 to go in the opening period.

Neither team had much going for much of the second quarter until Fayetteville State's Turner again pinned Shaw deep in its own territory. Forced to punt from its own end zone, the Broncos took over on the Bears' 28. Five plays later, Bailey, who scored three touchdowns on just seven carries to rally Fayetteville State from a two-touchdown deficit last week in a romp over Virginia State, scored on an 8-yard run up the middle to give the Broncos a 14-7 lead with 3:27 to go in the half.

Before the break, though, Fayetteville State's defense, which scored twice last week, came up with another big play. Joshua Scales (So., Pinehurst, N.C.) intercepted a tipped pass from Odom and returned it 38 yards to the Shaw 7. With solid blocking all along the left side, Bailey high-stepped into the end zone for a 21-7 Broncos lead.

But even after Marshall's pick-6, it was anything but home sweet homecoming for the Broncos.

Follow us!