FSU's Tim Plummer

Jan. 12, 2012

Final Stats

LINCOLN, Penn. - For the second game in a row, a Fayetteville State player beat the final buzzer.

Unfortunately for Tim Plummer and the Broncos, this one only tied the game at the end of regulation.

Plummer buried a 3 with 2 seconds remaining the knot the game at 65 and send it into overtime, but Denzel Mooney and the Lincoln Lions prevailed 78-75 on Thursday night.

Just three days ago, Fayetteville State center John Herrington (Sr., Jacksonville, Fla.) lifted the Broncos to an improbable victory by hitting a 55-foot shot at the buzzer to clip Elizabeth City State 79-78.

But while Herrington's buzzer-beater sent the Felton J. Capel Arena crowd storming the floor, Plummer's 3 only delayed the final outcome.

Mooney scored eight of his game-high 27 points in the extra period - all from the foul line - and finished a staggering 19-for-20 from the stripe to lift the Lions (7-8, 2-2) over the Broncos (4-7, 2-2). Fayetteville State led as late as 58 seconds to go in overtime before two more Mooney foul shots tied the game at 75.

After a missed shot attempt by the Broncos' Andre Best (Jr., Raleigh, N.C.) with 43 seconds remaining, Kenny Sharpe was fouled and stepped to the line, making one of two free throws for a 76-75 lead with 12 seconds left.

Fayetteville State turned the ball over on the next possession, and the Broncos were forced to foul Mooney with 3 seconds to go for the final outcome.

The Broncos trailed by as many as seven points in the second half before storming back, and even led 62-60 with 1:52 to go after two Plummer (Sr., Apex, N.C.) foul shots.

But Justin Jackson answered with a 3 with 1:30 remaining to give Lincoln the lead back at 63-62, and a tip-in by Sharpe with 18 seconds left put the Lions up by three, setting up Plummer's tying shot.

Plummer's 16 points led the Broncos while Jarmel Baxter (Sr., Davidson, N.C.) added nine.



Jackson had 15 points and Derrick Washington 14 for the Lions. Sharpe chipped in 10 and a game-high eight rebounds.

The game was tight throughout the first half, with eight ties. Neither team led by more than four points as Fayetteville State took a 38-37 lead into the break.

Mooney kept the Lions in the game in the first half practically by himself, scoring 14 points and making all eight of his foul shot attempts.

The Broncos, meanwhile, were just 7-for-13 from the foul line, and only led at the break by virtue of shooting 50 percent from the floor. Sidney Evans led the Broncos with eight points and five rebounds at the break, while the Fayetteville State reserves did their part, outscoring the Lincoln bench 25-11 in the opening period. Evans, who's been plagued by back spasms of late, played only 2 minutes in the second half.

Follow us!